The Importance of Climate Control in Warehousing
Being a large space with an open environment and people along with goods constantly moving about, it is quite natural for the temperature of a warehouse to fluctuate unpredictably. The cool spots located near the loading bay and hot spots located near the restricted air flow shelves, climate control in a warehouse helps in managing the environmental disparity and assuring a moderate temperature through all the operations carried forward. However, a lot of the industries overlook the importance of climate control in a warehouse which results in unexpected expenses incurred later on either as damaged stock or the need to get a climate controlling system installed.
Why do Warehouses need a Climate Control Storage System?
There are two major factors that are to be kept under consideration when talking about climate control; temperature of the warehouse and the humidity. One may already be aware of the obvious effects of inconsistent temperature over food and medicine. However, there are a lot of other goods as well that may be damaged if not stored under a controlled climate condition.
For instance, any metal object may expand or contract when encountered with either hot or cold humidity over and over again, this can also cause damage to the electronic components due to moisture. Henceforth, by neglecting climate control, the products stored in a warehouse may melt, decay or end up developing mold. Furthermore, the workers in a warehouse with no climate controlling system may suffer from a heat stroke or even end up with frost bite.
So, how do you keep your goods as well as employees safe during the constantly changing temperature? The answer is quite simple! Getting a climate control system installed in your warehouse would help in running your warehouse efficiently through extreme climate conditions.
Elements of Climate Control in a Warehouse
There are various techniques that can be employed to stabilize the temperature and humidity of a warehouse. For instance;
- By planning out the structure of shelves and pallets, the air flow can be managed. Moreover, the sealing strips help a great deal in restricting the air flow entering via door openings.
- The Dehumidification process can be used to control the humidity that exists in the space which would stop the building up of condensation and moisture in products stored in your warehouse.
- By making your warehouse completely weatherproof prevents the goods from becoming too dry and add up another climate control measure.
- In order to make sure the workers in a warehouse are at an optimum temperature along with the goods, portable air conditioning or heating can also be used which would help stabilize the temperature of the warehouse.
- Microprocessors can be installed in order to ensure a digital method for temperature monitoring and control.
- In order to be more cautious of any damage that may occur, different methods of signals for temperature shifts like audio or visual alarms can be installed.
- Any product that is stored on the floor is more likely to lose heat and get damaged, it is always better to use pallets and keep your goods away from direct contact of the ground.
- Consider installing industrial ceiling fans as they have high volume and low speed, these would help in air circulation as stagnant air condition raises heat.
These tips and ideas may come in handy when you are planning to run a warehouse and wish to keep your employees, inventory as well as equipment secure in every climate condition. With these methods and elements, you can run your warehouse efficiently and safely without having to face any damage.